Re: NTP best practice

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 08:04:13 AKDT

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Dan Wolf wrote:

> Hello all,
> While this is not exactly Linux related I am sure there are some sysadmin types with more experience than I.
>
> What is the best practice for implementing NTP in a network of ~350 hosts & 20 cisco switches and routers?
>
> I am leaning toward having the edge router act as a master ntp server to each of the distribution/access switches and they in turn would provide ntp broadcasts to their attached hosts.
>
> Is there a better/more efficient way?

Not being a router guy I would probably do it on a server, but the basic
idea would be the same--one ntp server for all your hardware. I'd
probably put it on a server that's already doing dns or dhcp maybe, or
even on its own in a dmz. Probably the only configuration
suggestions I would make is:

1. Don't just use one or two "server" or "peer" lines in ntp.conf.
    go ahead and define five or six--the reason being that sometimes
    upstream ntp servers will move or be shutdown. Rare, but it
    happens.
2. Define your upstream ntp servers using hostnames instead of IP
    addresses. Those servers may infrequently change IPs, but
    almost never their hostnames.

Mike