RE: Fwd: Anti-spam Pilot Test: Employee & Student Volunteers Wan ted!

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 08:01:31 AKDT

Joshua Kugler writes in resposne to:
> On Sunday 04 April 2004 02:39 pm, Scott Johnson wrote:
>>> supports. Here at UAA, we have estimated that to implement
>>> an Anti-spam solution that it would cost UAA between $35,000
>>> [and] $50,000 annually in software licensing and maintenance.
>>
>> $35-$50M/year on "software licensing & maintenance".... [?!?!?]
>
> Umm...did anyone notice that the message from UAA said 35 to
> 50 *thousand* not million? Granted, there are free solutions,
> but 35 to 50 thousand is a bit more reasonable than 35 to 50
> million. Like, oh, three orders of a magnitude. :)

35-50k$ would correspond, roughly, to 2$/student for anti-spam.

This is in line with 95% of commercial offerings, so it's not
too surprising.

Granted, there are a number of FOSS solutions available, however
there is still incremental cost involved (another sysadmin) and
a new line item for capital expenses (hardware, development) and
of course, time to implement being much longer.

ROI on FOSS always wins out, of course, because you're not just
throwing money out your front door.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s