RE: NTP best practice

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 08:24:48 AKDT

Dan Wolf writes:
> Hello all,
> While this is not exactly Linux related I am sure there
> are some sysadmin types with more experience than I.
>
> What is the best practice for implementing NTP in a
> network of ~350 hosts & 20 cisco switches and routers?
>
> I am leaning toward having the edge router act as a
> master ntp server to each of the distribution/access
> switches and they in turn would provide ntp broadcasts
> to their attached hosts.
>
> Is there a better/more efficient way?

Dan,

You haven't mentioned much about your network topology: is
it a flat network, hub and spoke local area, hub and spoke wan,
etc..

For instance, if you had 3 major distribution sites in, say,
Jun, Anc, Fbk, then I'd put an NTP server in each of those
sites. They would all talk to each other, and some upstream
server out in the 'internet'. Then point your hosts within
each region to it's closest server.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s