Re: Smoothwall question

From: <captgoodnight@acsalaska.net>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 21:23:02 PST

On Friday 05 March 2004 04:17 pm, Wesley Brown wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any difference at all in setting up smoothwa=
ll
> on a computer that has a 2 gig processor, 512 ram, and a pretty fast hard
> drive as opposed to setting it up on a computer with a 300 Mhz processor,
> 128 ram, and a slower smaller HD.
>
> If I switched from the more modern configuration to just an old computer
> would I have a bottle neck, or at least a bottle neck that I would notice?
>
> Wesley Brown

I run smoothwall 2.0 on a Pentium 166; 192ram and 2gigs. Behind it sits 3=20
workstation/servers and a honeypot. Network includes a dmz (orange) and a=20
safe zone (green). The smoothwall box has three modern pci nics. For servic=
es=20
on the smoothwall I run snort, squid, ssh, ntp and apache. I use the intern=
et=20
for enemy territory gaming to general suffering. All the smoothwall service=
s=20
are local only, accept ntp. ACS 320/80 dsl package. Works like a charm!=20

I can't imagine using a 2GHz machine for a smoothwall, seems like a waste o=
f a=20
good workstation/server. I guess it all depends on the services your handin=
g=20
out to the public+traffic, and how many active machines sit behind it, even=
=20
then a 2GHz still seems kinda like wasting a good workstation. Hope that=20
helps.

PS I got my smoothwall from acs, it's funny, I use to do some contract work=
=20
for them, I was walking through the garage and looked in the trash, there s=
at=20
my smoothwall box. I asked and they gave, when the manager asked the tech i=
f=20
he had zapped the hdd he said he did, he didn't! On it sat useless info but=
=20
none the less, a security no no. Kinda funny how some techs lie to their=20
managers. Thanks acs for the smoothwall box!

bests,
eddie
=2D-=20
ICQ# 294477332
Where ravens sleep
No object can stop the driving rain
In wind, the smallest object can be deadly
=46ace the sun, to not see the shadows
Only the dead have seen the end to war
Like I to it, objects to I