Re: Java use increasing

From: Neil Moomey <neil@neilmoomey.com>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 15:16:16 PST

I use Java quite a bit but I don't find it to be very popular here in
Anchorage. Not sure why. It's a decent language. I've also been
learning C# which is very similar and will probably be more popular in
Alaska than Java because of all the VB fans. The mono project lets you
run it on Linux. I hate to admit this but so far I really like it. I
ported my slideshow program from Java to C# and it could open large
images 4x faster. Mostly because of hard drive access and low level
graphics access (GDI+) which no platform independent language can
compete with. The imaging library is second only to C/C++. I even wrote
a EXIF library for it. On the server or on Linux I'd take Java over C#
any day or even Python/PHP for that matter.

Neil