Re: Java use increasing

From: Jim Courtney <courtney@ieee.org>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 23:52:59 PST

Coincidentally, I was just talking about this an hour ago. My daughter is an
EE student at UAF and was flown to Minnesota yesterday by IBM for a
recruiting event. The most common question asked by interviewers: "Do you
know Java?". I've never programmed in Java, but in the last couple of years
I've run into a few pieces of telecom gear that have Java-based GUI
interfaces. The ones I have seen are incredibly sluggish and frustrating and
I run back to the console interface.

On a somewhat related subject - if anybody has DSL service that uses the new
Paradyne 6381 ADSL/R modem - telnet into it (defaults 192.168.1.1,
username=root, password=Admin). It's a Linux box! (busybox). Try ifconfig,
lsmod, etc. Incredible - everything works. It's something like $100. Lots of
entertainment potential. I wish I had time.