RE: Help with sorting another file

Subject: RE: Help with sorting another file
From: Arthur Corliss (acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 12:16:26 AKST

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Troy Melhase wrote:

<snip>

I understand your point, but I think you missed mine, entirely. XML apps
should use XML parsers, that's a given. All I'm saying that if you need to
extract some data from an XML document (for use outside of your XML app), or,
as in this case, you need to filter out incomplete records, XML parsers are
overkill.

Any scenario in which using sed in this manner would fail would also break the
XML app, since such changes will mean that the DTD you're using for validation
is no longer valid, anyway. XML's self-description can't stop apps from
breaking if there's any change in the hierarchy through which it's used to
traversing to get the bits it wants.

Any way you cut it, XML is inherently sed-friendly.

        --Arthur Corliss