Re: Help with sorting

Subject: Re: Help with sorting
From: Troy Melhase (troy@gci.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 22:59:10 AKST

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 10:56 pm, jonr@destar.net wrote:
> This one works like a charm!

That's good to know! :D

> As does this one, though it looks a lot like heiroglyphics. :)
>
> sed "s/[',()]//g" test | sort -n -k 3 | sed "s/\([^ ]*\)/'\1',/g" | sed
> 's/^\(.*\),$/(\1),/'

Even better. But I'm with you -- my poor old brain can't parse most of it.

(As an aside, I've been meaning to learn regex's more fully. Can anyone
suggest a good link or two? I can manage them when I have to, but most of
mine seem sub-optimal, and I have to slow down and test much more than I'm
used to doing.)

> some of that there programming and script writing. Do you guys have any
> "easy" websites that could help me understand it? I can string commands
> together but nothing fancy, nothing quite like the magic performed here
> today.

The best introduction to Python is the "Python Tutorial", written by it's
creator, Guido van Rossum:

http://python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

You may find the tutorial a bit long (it's not really), and instead, you may
find this doc, "Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python" by Josh Cogliati more to
your liking:

http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

Good luck!

--