Re: Raid 5, xfs or reiserfs

Subject: Re: Raid 5, xfs or reiserfs
From: Arthur Corliss (acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 15:30:00 AKST

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, volz wrote:

> Software raid with (I hope) nfs exported volume. On an smp system. I thought LVM
> was pretty mature and stable. However Mike's point is well made that we would be
> adding several wrinkles. xfs sounds good in theory, but we would be doing
> xfs+nfs+lvm. I will check the lists.

I'm actually doing xfs+lvm w/nfs exports on various hardware right now with
no problems. From blade servers to SMP machines. Everything's been rock
solid. That said, I have to caution the following: I haven't tested ACL over
NFS support yet, nor do I use the striping capability in LVM, I do spanning
instead (you can't arbitrarily extend a striped LV).

Potential influencing factors: I've been using the kernel sources from SGI's
CVS server, so I have no idea how other distros' heavily patched kernels may
behave. In the same vein, I'm using my own custom distro, and so may have
differing versions of the xfs/lvm utilities.

Final thoughts: snapshot capabilities in LVM are awesome. Also great: being
able to dynamically grow a live xfs filesystem when I need more space.

> Arthur-
>
> We are decomissioning the cluster you built, and I am looking for a way to use
> the old systems for NAS. The new PowerEdge servers we bought last year for our
> current cluster have gigabit networking and cut model runs from 3:20 to 1:05.

Regardless, you've got a whole slew of machines from the old cluster: are you
planning on some kind of DFS, or just want one or two file servers hosting
disk arrays?

        --Arthur Corliss