Re: Raid 5, xfs or reiserfs

Subject: Re: Raid 5, xfs or reiserfs
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 12:47:55 AKST

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> I personally wouldn't trust ReiserFS on an enterprise system. The code base
> seems to evolve a little too rapidly, and introduces all kinds of neat little
> bugs. Ext3 in general is very reliable, but performance tends to suffer due
> to the lengths they go to guarantee writes.
>
> Personally, the only two filesystems I'd ever use is XFS or JFS. XFS came
> out (I think) in '93 on the IRIX platform, and '94 for JFS on AIX. Both are
> very mature code bases and even with the recent Linux port are probably the
> most reliable f/s available for Linux.
>
> I use XFS on IRIX & Linux, and JFS on AIX. Go with one of those two, if you
> can.

One thing I would point out is that as soon as you introduce Linux
software raid into the picture, your chances for encountering problems go
up significantly. That's not to say that Linux software raid isn't
good--I personally think it's awesome--however I've had problems with at
least raid+smp, raid+nfs, raid+xfs, raid+jfs and raid+reiser3. For each
of those cases, one thing might work perfectly fine, but as soon as I
brought software raid into the picture, I had problems (kernel panics, fs
corruption, etc.) Note none of my comments apply to hardware raid, just
Linux software raid.

Most people aren't aware of them, but there are mount options for ext3
that can really help performance. "data=journal" is supposed to help
hugely in most situations. The options are described in the mount man
page.

Mike