Re: Raid 5, xfs or reiserfs

Subject: Re: Raid 5, xfs or reiserfs
From: Arthur Corliss (acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 12:01:35 AKST

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, volz wrote:

> Assume for the sake of discussion, I want to make a large raid 5 volume (~600G) out of three ide drives.
>
> Would either reiserfs or xfs be better than ext3?
>
> What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of the three for this application?

I personally wouldn't trust ReiserFS on an enterprise system. The code base
seems to evolve a little too rapidly, and introduces all kinds of neat little
bugs. Ext3 in general is very reliable, but performance tends to suffer due
to the lengths they go to guarantee writes.

Personally, the only two filesystems I'd ever use is XFS or JFS. XFS came
out (I think) in '93 on the IRIX platform, and '94 for JFS on AIX. Both are
very mature code bases and even with the recent Linux port are probably the
most reliable f/s available for Linux.

I use XFS on IRIX & Linux, and JFS on AIX. Go with one of those two, if you
can.

        --Arthur Corliss