RE: Multiple pop3 servers

Subject: RE: Multiple pop3 servers
From: Arthur Corliss (acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 11:34:00 AKST

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, barsalou wrote:

> So the servers would each point to the nfs mounted mail store.....hmmmm.
> Is that the only way? I gotta believe that ISP's have already addressed
> this issue, but my search on google didn't really turn up anything.
>
> I am probably asking the question in the wrong way.

If all you're looking for is the ability to migrate accounts from one server
to another and have that change be transparent to the user, then all you need
to do is update DNS. Give the users a consistent resolvable name to configure
their clients with, and you (re)point it to whatever box you want.

It's a simple method, but it allows for some poor-man's load balancing if
every department/group has their own {grp}-mail.foo.com address, or similar.

        --Arthur Corliss