Re: Change in the air

Subject: Re: Change in the air
From: Andy Firman (andy@firman.us)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 18:39:55 AKST

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:50:50PM -0900, Matthew Dunaway wrote:

> Thanks for the links. :-)
> Unfortunatley, I think I am still gonna be stuck with Windows for a while
> longer. Reason being, is I have a HP LaserJet 1000 printer that I can't get
> to work with any distro of Linux. There is a driver available, but you have
> to re-configure it every time you need to print something. I don't know
> enough about Linux to be able to figure out how to compile a driver.

Understood ... but try CUPS.

I have been running CUPS for 2 years with my HP LaserJet 1100a.
Both direct from lpt and also as a shared samba printer on my network.

When I try to add a printer, the 1000 is in there so it IS supported.
Give CUPS a try. You will have to do some reading.

CUPS is awesome. I run it on my laptop and can add SAMBA printers every
time I go to a client's office.