Re: Btreive question

Subject: Re: Btreive question
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 17:19:46 AKST

* Richard Thompson <mergannt@nushtel.com> [040201 16:32]:

> My employer runs a number of M$ based applications that I've
> successfully gotten to run with Wine. One remains - it's a database
> program written in something called "Magic". It is hosted on a Novell
> 5.x box and uses Btreive on the client box. I've gotten the client to
> run via Wine, but it can't communicate with the server, complaining that
> Btreive isn't present. My understanding of client /server issues is
> getting stronger <g>, but I admit to being stumped here and am looking
> for a direction - spend time figuring out how to get the Btreive working
> under Wine or spend time trying to get some other db app (mysql,
> whatever) to do the data? I can't change my employers preferred db
> software (at the moment), so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

 It has been a couple of years since I have experimented with wine.
 It probably has advanced since then, but I found win4lin
 www.netraverse.com a better solution for my needs.

 Basically, win4lin emulates the entire windows desktop.

 Betrieve! Boy that brings back some memories, is this a legacy system,
 or is Btreive still producing current product?

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>