Re: Mail Server Surgery

Subject: Re: Mail Server Surgery
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 19:22:19 AKST

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 18:32, Jim Wadell wrote:
snip
> If you are running any distribution that uses an initrd boot structure,
> you might want to take a look at the initrd file by uncompressing and
> mounting a COPY. It is instructive!
>
> Jim

 I know that the pre-compiled kernels that ship with Debian use
initrd=/initrd.img. this is, ihmo, only to to make a painless install on
the broadest venue of hardware. In the world of 'this is my box & I
know what my chipsets are' I think using initrd adds a layer of
complexity/failure that is not helpful to a stable system.. Initrd is
usefull for installs, I suggest compiling ( a kernal) for the hardware
on your system, without initrd.

hopefully this relates to your post :)

--
Greg Madden