Re: VNC w/SSH Tunnel

Subject: Re: VNC w/SSH Tunnel
From: Jamie Hushower (hushower@alaska-geeks.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 15:16:07 AKST

I am unaware of an SSH server for Windows. Without such, Windows cannot
be the end point of a VNC connection *and* all traffic remain encrypted.
If you need encryption only on the public network (Internet), that is
possible. My situation kept all traffic encrypted because the SSH server
was also the VNC server.

If you need encryption all the way: As you are running all Win2K and
WinXP boxes, I recommend using Windows Terminal Services which is "built
into" Win2K and XP. There is a client for Linux as well as Windows and
it includes its own encryption. The only port to worry about forwarding,
should it be necessary, is 3389, TCP. In my experience, the bandwidth
requirements and response have been better with MSTS than VNC (and
TightVNC) over SSH with and without SSH compression.

Feel free to clarify and I will address your situation.

-Jamie

--
Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant