Re: VNC w/SSH Tunnel

Subject: Re: VNC w/SSH Tunnel
From: Jamie Hushower (hushower@alaska-geeks.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 14:46:46 AKST

I have done it and am doing using right now. The setup is rather easy
(excluding firewall issues). My setup involves using Putty (Windows)
SSH to a Linux firewall running VNCServer. My intermediate firewall
forwards SSH traffic into the private network and nothing else.

I can offer setup specifics if you include your specifics: Windows or
Linux starting point? Is the remote machine behind a firewall? Linux
firewall?

A good starting place for Putty tunnels is the Putty homepage:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html.

Here is a good site on Linux SSH port forwarding:
http://www.rzg.mpg.de/networking/tunnelling.html

-Jamie

Tim Jordan wrote:

> Anyone have a good starting place on using VNC with SSH so I can remote
> control Windows desktops?
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> Thanks,
> TJ