Re: distro recommend for a 486

Subject: Re: distro recommend for a 486
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 08:28:30 AKST

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 00:49, W.D.McKinney wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 00:29, Scott Johnson wrote:
> > I need a distro geared towards a 486. However everything I'm finding
> > online is horribly out of date (RH <6.0, etc).
> >
> > It's a 486DX, 8mb RAM, 400mb hd. Can't boot from CD, although it does
> > have a CDROM to possibly install from once drivers are loaded. No PCI
> > bus - everything is ISA and even a couple VESA/VLB slots.
> >
> > My plans for the box are to install openssl and run my own CA.
> >
> > Any comments appreciated.
> >
> > scott
>
> Debian.

The memory requirements have gone up for Debian 3.0, aka Woody.
>From the install manual:

2.3 Memory and Disk Space Requirements
You must have at least 12MB of memory and 110MB of hard disk space. For
a minimal console-based system (all standard packages), 250MB is
required. If you want to install a reasonable amount of software,
including the X Window System, and some development programs and
libraries, you'll need at least 400MB. For a more or less complete
installation, you'll need around 800MB.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.