Re: Interesting article for those of you running WAPs

Subject: Re: Interesting article for those of you running WAPs
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 20:44:29 AKST

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 16:27, Stephen King wrote:

> Running a WAP without WEP? Check this out:
>
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5112000.html
>
> Stephen

This is the attitude that allowed MS to become the dominant OS, make it
easy for the consumer to use, no matter what the secrity ramifications.
While virii are not MS fault they have had years to do something about
it. Unfortunately this would end up affecting their bottom line, but
look at what it costs everyone else. The estimated cost to business is
in the billions.

Qoted from the article.
"But out-of-the-box security is not likely to happen soon, according to
Dennis Eaton, chairman of the Wi-Fi Alliance, an industry group that
certifies Wi-Fi products for interoperability.

"Networking can still be a complicated process, and what we're trying to
do first is make it as easy as possible for consumers to set up the
networking," Eaton said. "Then they can work on enabling security.

Eaton added that while the group discusses making security easier to
enable, there is no formal plan for making that happen.

Mike Wagner, a director of marketing at Linksys, a division of Cisco,
added that there could be a larger problem if security were enabled
before gear got to consumers.

"Most people don't change default settings, so if we enabled security
out-of-the-box with preset passwords, and consumers didn't change their
passwords, there could be a potential for a larger problem if a hacker
found out that default password--something that would be easy to do," he
said. "

This last part is pure nonesense.

--
Greg Madden