Re: [Slug] IBM betrays us all

Subject: Re: [Slug] IBM betrays us all
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 19:38:36 AKST

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 17:53, Greg Jetter wrote:

> On Monday January 19 2004 6:35 pm, Dennis Stout wrote:
> > I heard that they were opening 15,000 _new_ jobs, 4500 of which would be
> > in= the United States.
> >
> > I didn't hear anything at all about them moving jobs or terminating jobs.
> >
> > Dennis
>
> They are creating 15,000 new jobs , they currently have 4500 jobs that will
> be moved overseas along with the majority of the 15 thousand , the net
> result is 1500 , fifteen hundred new us jobs and 4500 existing us jobs
> moved overseas in addition to the 15000 new job created overseas... a net
> loss of 3000 american jobs if my math is right ... How ever they can rightly
> clame they created 1500 new american jobs ... <sarcasum>so we should all feel
> good about it</sarcasum>.
>
> My thought is What good are low prices when you got no job ? Whats good for
> IBM and DELL's bottom line just is not good for me or any IT worker. The
> thought of compeating with a some guy who lives in a mud hut with his live
> stock and considers himself affluent because he is now making 300 dollars
> a month is not my idea of whats good for me or my fellow industry
> workers.
>

> not much we can do .. it looks like we can all look forward to declining
> standards of living , depressed wages for IT workers and more take it or
> I'll hire overseas mentality from our employers and customers until that
> point is reached where we can't aford their products because we don't make
> enough .
>
> I'm just going to not play their game , I'm not going to buy or recomending
> their products. I would hope those of you who have a vested intrest in
> the future of the IT industry will do like wise .
>
> thank you for you time , now get back to coding before the boss sees you
> reading this and moves your job overseas .... : )
>
> Greg

Its not just IBM or the'big guys' shopping for low prices. With the
internet, anyone can ssh into a box, given permisssion, from anywhere in
the world, and admin that box. It happens here in Alaska even.

There are no borders on the internet so it becomes a new issue as to how
to regulate workers from other countries 'working' in the US without the
current paperwork/visa's that are required for physically working in the
US now.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.