Re: Notice: GCI DNS servers changing- having problems

Subject: Re: Notice: GCI DNS servers changing- having problems
From: James Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 09:00:57 AKST

James Dory wrote:

>I decided to change the dns numbers in our mail server yesterday and now
>I can't receive mail for our lan. I've changed them back to the old ones
>today and still no mail.
>
>The domain is nomealaska.org and we are hosted on www.register.com. When
>doing a dnsreport.com on nomealaska.org all kinds of bad stuff shows up.
>No mx records, no nameservers, etc. On my server (a cobalt raq using
>GUI) all I had changed was the network DNS numbers, nothing more. Since
>changing back to the old ones, I've restarted sendmail, restarted inetd,
>and then finally rebooted.
>
>As an aside, when you go to the website www.gci.net they give different
>DNS nameservers than what is listed below. The ones listed below are the
>same ones that show up on dnsreport.com. So should one use these or the
>ones that GCI is saying to use on gci.net?
>
>Not having mail for an organization is stress producing. Any help would
>be appreciated. (We can send mail through smtp.gci.net).
>
>Cheers, Jim

All of a sudden dnsreports is starting to look better for
nomealaska.org. Perhaps it takes a bit for my dns changes to kick in,
but I'm back on the old dns numbers anyway. So still wondering about
what to use for gci's new dns numbers, and wondering why when I changed
(to 209.165.131.12 and .13, it was such a dismal failure? Or perhaps
other demons aligned coincidentally?

cheers, JD