Re: Dreaming

Subject: Re: Dreaming
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 15:14:07 AKST

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:30:20 -0900
Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com> wrote:

> mounting bracket on the under-side of the cabinet. The obvious problem
> is the image would be upside down. Can anyone suggest a way to fix that
> issue? I would prefer the LCD be mounted so that it can fold back as
> opposed to have it sit on the counter. Following are some additional
> thoughts on the subject;

Perhaps if you positioned the computer itself upside down - then the original image would be inverted, and the upside down LCD would invert it again, resulting in a right side up image? Twisting around the VGA cable might help as well...

Or, you could investigate the "rotate" option in the XF86Config file. It looks like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "NeoMagic"
        Driver "neomagic"
        BoardName "Unknown"
# Option "Rotate"
# Option "pciBurst"

The example I found was commented out, so I don't know what a working example would look like. It is also driver specific, so may not be available with your video card. AFAIK, nVidia cards support this. SuSE's sax config tool supports rotate as well, however I'm not in a position to check out a current SuSE box with X right now.

Some of the Linux ports to other hardware have viewing angles specified in other ways, for example you can specify viewing angle on iPaqs with the startx command (something like startx -- -screen 640x480@270 where the @270 is the viewing angle). It's been a while since I've played with one of those, and then only for a day or so. Depending on what you're planning to use for hardware, this might also be a possibility.

Cheers,

James