Re: X-windows and different color depths

Subject: Re: X-windows and different color depths
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 22:02:20 AKST

Mike,

You can have several session of X running at the same time on a machine.

On a mandrake box for example at the text console do the command:

startx :1 -bpp 8

and you will have 8 bit on vt 8 (alt-F8 or ctrl-alt-F8 from X on vt 7)
you can do this up to vt11 I believe I have never ran more then 1 local
XDM at 16bit , 1 8 bit, 1 Remote XDM at 16 bit. This is done on 32 meg
ATI and one 32 meg geforce 2.

Hope this helps....

Shortpier

--

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar -- -- File: signature.asc -- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part