Re: Apache log

Subject: Re: Apache log
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 16:29:10 AKST

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:28:45 -0800 (PST)
Wesley Brown <webtacsat@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I tried to telnet to my webserver and do what you suggested. Here is what I got.
>
> 192.168.0.199 - - [04/Jan/2004:01:49:40 -0500] "\xff\xfb\\x1f\xff\xfb\ xff\xfb\x18\xff\xfb'\xff\xfd\x01\xff\xfb\x03\xff\xfd\x03GET htpp://www.yahoo.com" 400 371

Hmm. This time you got a 400 error, not a 200. Perhaps due to the extra lead in characters - although I'm not sure where they came from. I've seen \x90 lines on my server from worm traffic, but it should not have been generated by using putty to telnet to your web server.

Also to clarify my earlier post, in addition to having URL re-writing turned on, name based virtual hosts are another reason you'll get 200 success messages when someone requests another domain. (And is the reason my server returns the JLUG page when you request yahoo.)

Cheers,

James