Re: Apache log

Subject: Re: Apache log
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 12:19:58 AKST

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:09:35 -0800 (PST)
Wesley Brown <webtacsat@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In my apache log I get some entries that seem to request another web page through my server. Like I am a proxy server.
>
> Here is the latest entry:
>
> 64.222.176.13 - - [02/Jan/2004:14:16:23 -0500] "GET http://www.yahoo.com/ HTTP/1.1" 200 4553
>
> I assume because of the 200 after the request that the attempt was successful. I have read a little about this problem but I don't understand how to fix it. Does anyone know what I am talking about? The fix seems simple I just don't know where to do it at.

Wesley,

Do you have address re-writing turned on, or custom error pages? These 200 messages are not necessarily indicative of an open proxy. All it means is that the server returned SOMETHING to the requestor. You could have an open relay, but lets hope not.

For example, try this:

$ telnet www.juneau-lug.org 80
Trying 24.237.22.218...
Connected to www.juneau-lug.org
Escape character is '^]'.
GET http://www.yahoo.com
Juneau Linux Users Group (snip) Your telnet session will result in a log entry in my logs that shows a request for yahoo.com with a "success" message of 200, but the page you get isn't yahoo's. In my case, it is the juneau-lug.org page, and in your case it could either be your home page or a 404 error page. Your log entry above shows you returned 4553 bytes, so it is probably not a 404 error page. IIRC the stock 404 error page is 288 bytes - however if you've got a custom error page such as the Marvin the depressed robot page, or These Weapons of Mass Destruction Cannot Be Found, etc. then your byte count will be significantly higher. Telnet to yourself and ask for yahoo.com, and see what you get. Cheers, James --------- To unsubscribe, send email to with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.