USB configuration and the Melodistik MP3 player

Subject: USB configuration and the Melodistik MP3 player
From: Barsalou (barjunk@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 12:24:40 AKST

Part of the problem of configuring this stuff was my lack of experience.
I haven't worked a whole lot with USB and of the times I have it has
been a hit and miss kind of thing for me.

Luckily I have two differently configured Linux boxes and one of the
worked as soon as I plugged it in. This helped me narrow down the
issues on the box I really wanted it to work on.

Before we start on the technical details, it was important to have
"grip" and "lame" installed on the machine. They are both at your
nearest freshrpms repository ( I use apt-get) and both are in RPM form.
These two programs will allow you to rip a music CD to mp3.

Secondly I had to modify my /etc/modules.conf file to have this entry:

alias usb-controller usb-uhci

my modules.conf had another line which I had to remark out:

alias usb-controller ehci-hcd

I am not exactly sure why, but I got an error=-110 in /var/log/messages
until I did. If anyone has feedback on this....that would be great.

Also, for some reason the "sd_mod" module never got loaded. This was
CRITICAL for being able to mount the MelodiStik as a drive. Otherwise
everything seems to be working, but you can't do anything (like mount
the drive).

After the sd_mod module got loaded, I was able to mount sda1 as a drive
like this:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/mp3player

I mounted it with vfat, because the mp3 player only displays 8.3 file
names and most of the names were fairly long.

I then used grip with the lame encoder to create the files to store on
the MP3 player. Grip by default stored them in ~/ogg with the .ogg
extension even though they were mp3 files...renaming them to .mp3
allowed the mp3 player to recognize them. I was able to fiddle with the
configuration of grip to name them properly and also made them get
created at 64kbs...that saved some space and the quality is reasonable.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get this to work in a little
more automated way that is accessible by a regular user and I am on my
way to a turnkey system for the MP3 player. If anyone has some
suggestions.....I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike

--
Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>