Re: Is there a Red Hat "up2date" equivalent???

Subject: Re: Is there a Red Hat "up2date" equivalent???
From: Jamie Hushower (hushower@alaska-geeks.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 07:30:48 AKST

After searching for an alternate distribution I realized that Fedora is
a better Redhat than Redhat (free version). The up2date service is still
supported, but no longer requires registration. Despite that, in my look
at alternatives, I came to appreciate apt while looking at Debian. As
Greg pointed out you can now find apt tools that support RPMs on Fedora.
There is a great GUI tool for keeping apt/RPMs up to date as well;
synaptic. Using apt is a great way to add RPMs that are not in the
standard Fedora collection, and ease package requirement issues. up2date
and apt can be used in conjunction with one another to get the best of
both worlds. Use up2date to get Fedora-sanctioned updates and run apt to
add additional packages from the various apt RPM repositories. Run the
"apt-get update" to synchronized package index files and include all
RPMs from all sources.

-Jamie

Greg Madden wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:11, Scott Johnson wrote:
>
>>Now that RH is going paid only, I'm looking for a new distro.
>>
>>The biggest reason I love(d) RH to begin with was it's "up2date" service
>>that I could set as a daily cron job to make sure my system automatically
>>downloaded and installed any applicable patches for my box.
>>
>>Question: Is there any alternative/equivalent service on a different
>>distro that is free? I'm trying not to turn the thread into a distro
>>war, hence this specific question.
>>
>>TIA!
>>
>>Scott
>

> There is 'APT'. It started out as a Debian tool but it has been ported
> to do RPM's also. I know it is availale for Connectiva, the company that
> did the original port to RPM, SuSe, and I think Redhat/Fedora can use it
> as well.
>
> Greg Madden

Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant