Re: OT: Zapping network switches

Subject: Re: OT: Zapping network switches
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 23:08:23 AKST

Yep Sounds like a surge... is the switch on a computer grade surge
protector OR even better a UPS? (I recylce old ups's and make em Fancy
surge protectorts alot. I have seen the same type of prob out here in
wasilla on machines and hardware ran on generators.

The prob in the house sounds like a bad ground OR a water leak is semi
shorting the wall wireing or the circut is overloaded.

Shortpier

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 19:32, Justin Dieters wrote:
> Not Linux related, but someone can hopefully give me some insight... Is
> it common for hubs/switches to get 'zapped' with static? What do you
> generally do to fix a problem like this?
>
> I have been providing some 'free tech-support' for a friend with a
> small home office (3 laptops and 1 desktop). Their network went down
> all the sudden last week, and after much troubleshooting, I decided the
> hub was probably fried - lights were on, but nobody could talk to
> anybody else.
>
> My best guess is that static zapped it, because when I was talking to
> them on the phone, the phone kept hanging up by itself every time they
> got zapped touching stuff (probably 3 times within 15 minutes). Also,
> the building they are in is not much more than a shed, so I'm not sure
> how good their electricity is - perhaps they aren't properly grounded?
> They haven't had any problems with any of their computers, other than a
> dead hard drive a few months back.
>
> They just bought a new switch last week, and today their network died
> again - same symptoms as before. I haven't been over there to verify,
> but I'm guessing it's the same deal as last time.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar -- -- File: signature.asc -- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part