Re: network traffic graphs

Subject: Re: network traffic graphs
From: Jeremy Austin (jhaustin@wsfnet.org)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 14:57:42 AKST

> Even if it was something that could be scheduled to just create graphs
> in .png format or something every half hour or so and throw them on
> the hard drive somewhere, that would be acceptable. I just need basic
> in and out information for eth0, I don't really need to know about
> what ports, which IP the traffic is going to, etc.

Justin, you might want ntop (www.ntop.org) but that's probably
overkill. I myself use mrtg (Multi Router Traffic Graphing)
(http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/ [was down earlier?])
which polls SNMP clients. I'm pretty sure it's possible to set up SNMP
to report those kernel stats and get graphs easily. rpms are available.

I would post my configs if they were immediately applicable. I need to
do this myself, so it's a timely question for me.

Check out these graphs for a sample:

http://admin.wsfnet.org/mrtg/

Note that these graphs are coming from squid, not the kernel, but the
principle's the same. I also use mrtg to poll my network of SDSL
routers for their stats.

Cheers,
Jeremy
aka jermudgeon