Re: Crossover Office

Subject: Re: Crossover Office
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 11:30:06 AKST

Andy,

* Andy Hall <andyhall@gci.net> [2003-Nov-17 07:44 AKST]:
> Does anybody have any experience with Codeweavers
> Crossover Office? Does it really work, and how
> well does it work?

I installed the latest version (2.1?) last week, and I think it's great.
I only use it for two things -- ProMash brewing software, and opening
poster-sized PowerPoint files so I can produce PostScript versions using
the HP755CM/PS printer driver. The PowerPoint -> PostScript has worked
perfectly so far, and ProMash also works reasonably well. The only
problem I've had is that text in tables under ProMash doesn't line up
properly. The Office programs don't seem to have these issues, however.

I haven't had any contact with support, so I can't confirm or deny
Peter's experiences there. My uses for this are pretty limited, so I
can't really offer a glowing review beyond what I just mentioned.

Also, CodeWeavers is putting all their code back into the Wine project,
so 1) supporting them supports Wine, and 2) you may be able to do what
you want with plain Wine from whatever distro you use. I believe
CodeWeavers even has a plain Wine installation package you can download
for free.

Beers,

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: