Re: Crossover Office

Subject: Re: Crossover Office
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 09:07:24 AKST

Andy-

My experience with xover Office was brief but dismal. I purcahsed it,
installed it (has a big footprint once M$ Office is installed) and got it
running. It worked for about a week, then refused to load. No useful errors,
just nothing happening. I was also never get it to support my printer, an HP
Laserjet 2100tn PS network printer

I contacted XoverOffice support (what a joke!) several times, but to no
avail.never got a response, and never could talk w/ them via 'phone. It was a
cheap experiment, but I found it unsuccessful.

Of course, they may have fixed a lot of bugs since then, but I was (and still
am) peeved that their customer service was SO unresponsive. Again, your milage
might vary. Plus, you do not get a significant benefit in return, M$ Office is
hardly great software.

Depends on what you want to get out of it, but the $$ might be better spent on
Win4lin, which supports a wider host of M$-compatible software, the printers
work, etc. Another option would be StarOffice7 or the newest OpenOffice,
though I would bet the former works better, though it is not free. Still, if
it is in your budget, SO7 may be the way to go. We as Linux users NEED to
support emerging efforts at third-party software when we can, 'cause in the
long term it is on our interest.

My $.02.

PQO

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:44:03 -0900, Andy Hall wrote