Re: Good info

Subject: Re: Good info
From: Andy Firman (andy@firman.us)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 05:54:09 AKST

> I Install and Activate prelude by default now. It checks file dates,
>sizes, and times for changes from day to day , week to week, etc

For Debian there is a package called integrit that I am now using.

# apt-cache show integrit
Package: integrit
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 511
Maintainer: Andras Bali <bali@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.03.02-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7)
Recommends: debconf
Filename: pool/main/i/integrit/integrit_2.03.02-1_i386.deb
Size: 228384
MD5sum: 5b4bf515f2c5e8815c42571cd6581d9d
 Integrit helps you determine whether an intruder has modified your
 system. Without the use of integrit, a sysadmin wouldn't know if the
 programs used for investigating the system are trojan horses or not.
 Integrit works by creating a database that is a snapshot of the most
 essential parts of the system. You put the database somewhere safe,
 and then later you can use it to make sure that noone has made any
 illicit modifications to your system.
 .
 Integrit's key features are the small memory footprint, the design
 with unattended use in mind, intuitive cascading rulesets for the
 paths listed in the configuration file, the possibility of XML or
 human-readable output and simultaneous check and update.

Andy