Re: what's wrong with my sendmail?

Subject: Re: what's wrong with my sendmail?
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 21:45:32 AKST

It would not need to mangle it...

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 14:41, Justin Dieters wrote:
> I believe that when it forwards, it doesn't mangle the IP address. For
> instance, before I had my webmail set up, I had mtaonline.net set up as
> a valid relay domain, so I could send mail from work using my server.
> Without it, it would deny it, because it recognized that it came from my
> work IP and not my smoothwall IP.

but if your smoothwall is Accepting a packet on the Inet iterface with a
IP of a private interface machine and just letting it be forwared into
the internal lan cause it hase a gateway/route for it could be how some
one got into your machine to send this...

> A bit more information: I disconnected my server from the network, and
> smoothwall's traffic graphs show that is probably where all this crap is
> coming from. Before disconnecting, I was averaging 6K/sec outgoing,
> which is quite a bit for my server. GCI's cable modem usage page shows
> that the past few days I've been uploading over 200-400MB/day, whereas
> my typical upload usage for several months preceding this was around
> 100MB/day. Cacluating it out, a sustained 6K/sec turns about to be
> around 500MB/day, so that matches GCI's numbers pretty closely.

OUCH How I caught the guy doing my box was a tcpdump as the stuff was
comming in and useing Ntop (http://www.ntop.org) to do live traceing of
traffic to trace down the IP addy of the source.. He only got me for
120 megs of traffic

Hope you get this figured out.. I am out of ideas ...

Shortpier

--

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar -- -- File: signature.asc -- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part