Re: Terminal Server

Subject: Re: Terminal Server
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 07:23:08 AKST

I use linux as a term server all the time... Use Remote X from windows
boexes with cygwin and xwin32 logging into the server with XDMCP. Or you
can use NFS root and run them local from the NFS mounted system.

One way that I am slowly converting clients to Linux/OSS is the use of
Cygwin to give them the Linux experience Yet let them keep their m$ that
they are comforable with, It does work quite well and alows headless
servers with out keyboard or mouse (less chance of end user screwup) and
you can set up who, what,where, and when based on normal user
admistration. Pare this with samba and home directory mounting/domain
controller model (have not tried the AD intergration yet)... You could
even do a cygwin install to a samba share and auto mount it to
workstations .. then export the registry settings to all workstations...

real life examples of this can be found all over the net.. One machine
can support several clients... Plus you can use an old 386 even for
remote X.

one funny thing about Remote X... Install vmware Install M$ os in it...
Login over XDMCP or export DISPLAY to the remote from a telnet / local
login.. Or over ssh (auto X forwardeing ) and display your M$ os Full
screen ... On a HP-UX box, A SUN SPARC, A Macintosh etc and watch your
coworkers FREAK ......

If the group would like an example of this I could come into one of the
friday sessions .... NFS root from my laptop to a k62 400... (would
need a Monitor and Keybord/mouse for the Diskless box....

Another example of remote X that I use is when I boot my laptop up I
have screen :0 be local and screen :1 hit a chooser on my lan so I can
graphicly login to any of my linux machines (works GREAT over 100mbts
and is still useable over 802.11b Just no 3d games :( But at 100mbts
full duplex Aramgtron is just like it is running on the local machine)
One advantage I have found is that a slower server can run heavy graphic
apps AS LONG as it does not have to do the graphic calulations.....IE
client Machine graphic card/xserver IS VERY IMPORTANT

Shortpier
On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 22:21, bryan@ak.net wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:17:41PM -0900, Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > Someone asked me if you could make Linux a terminal server...my initial
> > answer was yes. Then we started talking about what it ment....they were
> > wanting to have a remote desktop like Windows Terminal Services.
> >
> > What is the comparable "feature" in linux? Is it VNC? What other
> > choices could someone use?
>
> The Linux Terminal Server Project is here:
> http://www.ltsp.org/
>
> I don't even know what a terminal server is, but this might be worth
> a look.
>
> --
> Bryan Medsker
> bryan@ak.net

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar -- -- File: signature.asc -- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part