Re: MySQL Optimization Assistance

Subject: Re: MySQL Optimization Assistance
From: Joshua Kugler (jk@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 15:14:58 AKST

I'll answer on-list too, as it may help others.

Some general tips

1. Make sure you have indexes on all the columns in your WHERE clauses
2. Try not to use TEXT/BLOB fields or VARCHAR fields unless you really, really
need to
3. If you need to be able to search on ANY field in the table, and you need
speed, index them all: it'll take lots of disk space, but the time payoff
will be worth it

I can't really comment any further without seeing the layout of your database.
It is possible it needs some normalization, or other optimization.

Let me know if I can help further.

--
Joshua Kugler
Assistant Systems Administrator