RE: The sky is falling

Subject: RE: The sky is falling
From: Luke Scharf (lscharf@corepower.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 16:37:53 AKST

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 12:53, neil@neilmoomey.com wrote:
> I think Linux is ready for the desktop for power users but it's just
> not ready for average users or to compete with Windows and OS X.
> Linux still needs to fix the dependency problems, stability of
> applications, drivers, and desktops, and partnerships with vendors so
> they start making drivers. Red Hat simply failed on the desktop. If
> Apple can turn FreeBSD into OS X then Red Hat could have turned Linux
> into something even better had they tried. Red Hat quickly realized
> the money is on the server where IT can hide Linux from the users and
> save on the per client licenses. Personally I think with disk space
> and bandwidth becoming so cheap Linux should abandon the library
> approach to software. Each app should have it's own libraries
> bundled. This would eliminate the dependency problem forever. The
> downside is each software package will be a much larger download. A
> typical Linux install uses less than 10 percent of the hard disk space
> so I don't see it as a show stopper. I'm sur

You mean you'd like to see something like apt-get, yum, or red-carpet?
:-)

</smartalec>

You do have a valid point that these tools aren't installed by default
in the Linux distribution that everyone thinks of (RH9) -- but maybe
Fedora will change that? I'll have to look at the new version of
up2date and see what it looks like.

-Luke