RE: The sky is falling

Subject: RE: The sky is falling
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 21:23:16 AKST

It could be more of a combination of depression and frustration.

While they have been putting out a very usable desktop distribution for =
couple of years, they haven't been successful in getting it onto any
machines sold in the retail marketplace.

In addition to this, probably 95% of us using this as our primary =
desktop
haven't given them a nickel in way of support. Not just RedHat - any =
distro.
We only use it when we can download it for free.

I am about as guilty of this as anyone. While I do by a retail copy from
time-to-time out of guilt, I have installed and burned quite a few =
copies
that nothing was given back for.

If we don't start giving back financially to our favorite distro, we =
will
probably see more of this. Companies (people) can't operate at a =
financial
loss forever.

Jim Gribbin