Re: Redhat Changes (Gentoo?)

Subject: Re: Redhat Changes (Gentoo?)
From: Tim Jordan, Network Services (timothy_jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 14:00:53 AKST

You may find it handy to order the CD's from gentoo.org. I think they get
$15 for your specific platform.
This will help a little as you won't need an internet connection to start
compiling.

Tim Johnson wrote:
* jonr@destar.net[1] <jonr@destar.net>[2] [031103 10:33]: If you want to be
astud and get all the chicks use slack. If you want Regardless, my wife says
it is still O.K. for me to use slack :-) Seriously: If I could spare the
timeit takes, I would certainly consider Gentoo. My problem being, the time
it would take to install and configure a new OS is the time I would *not* be
using my workstation to to gain income. I'm wondering outloud here and
soliciting comments. How difficult would it be to quickly 'swap-out' drives
so that I could work off of my current Red Hat, swap to a different HD boot
and then spend my 'off-time' installing? (I have a 512-k DSL connection) Any
ideas? And how long before Gentoo becomes the 'studly' linux? to be Gregs
friend use debian. All kidding aside, I have been thinking of this also,
Slack I dont think has the momentum it used to have. Suse I would like if
they would let me download the latest distro, Debian has its appeal but im
not sure if I want to always use unstable to have the latest greatest.
Mandrake I can say nothing about because I dont follow it or use it, so my
opinion means nothing. RedHat has shifted their distro to something called
fedora, I'm not sure about this but soemone could verify it. I do know that
Warren Togami from the LUAU lug in Hawaii is the maintainer of this new
distro. So I dont know really, im in the same boat as you, I am also
wondering what I am going to do. I am begining to see RH as the evil empire
of Linux with their removing mp3 support and their subscription based
updates. I am leaning towards Slack and Debian myself, more so towards
Debianand this is simply because I have never used it and want to learn it.
Of course, using freebsd as my desktop and my server OS has crossed my mind
but I want to have my feet in both worlds, so I will probably stay with a
linux distro as my desktop and keep using freebsd as server fodder. Any
otherthoughts on this? Good question Jamie, Jon --------- To unsubscribe,
body.

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:jonr@destar.net