Re: Redhat Changes

Subject: Re: Redhat Changes
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 09:48:11 AKST

* Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com> [031103 08:31]:

> I am surprised that the decision by Redhat to terminate its "standard"
> Redhat Linux and promote Redhat Enterprise Linux didn't prompt a
> response here. Maybe I have overestimated its popularity in this group.
>
> I am disappointed because one the greatest arguments for using Redhat
> instead of Windows is gone, or at least reduced. Redhat Linux is no
> longer *obviously* cheaper than Windows with a baseline of $350 per
> year. Sure, CAL's make the gap noticeable for large companies, but 4- or
> 5-client servers that need no OS upgrade for 3 or 4 years *might not*
> realize a cost savings with Linux.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on what distribution to move to? I like
> what I know about Debian (no corporate interests), but would prefer to
> use what I know. Is Mandrake doomed with Redhat's change or do I
> misunderstand how they operate? Should I put in the time to understand
> Slackware? SUSE has always had a draw...

  There is much about Red Hat that is beginning to annoy me. I've
  already made the decision to switch to Slackware when I have time
  to make the transition. I know Jamie, and I know that if I can
  tackle Slackware, slack should be a piece of cake for him.

  On the other hand, if it is economics and business relationships
  that have prompted Red Hat to make this transition, it is just
  another sign of the growing acceptance of Linux in the business
  community. That can't be all bad. :-)
  tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>