Redhat Changes

Subject: Redhat Changes
From: Jamie Hushower (hushower@alaska-geeks.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 08:20:53 AKST

I am surprised that the decision by Redhat to terminate its "standard"
Redhat Linux and promote Redhat Enterprise Linux didn't prompt a
response here. Maybe I have overestimated its popularity in this group.

I am disappointed because one the greatest arguments for using Redhat
instead of Windows is gone, or at least reduced. Redhat Linux is no
longer *obviously* cheaper than Windows with a baseline of $350 per
year. Sure, CAL's make the gap noticeable for large companies, but 4- or
5-client servers that need no OS upgrade for 3 or 4 years *might not*
realize a cost savings with Linux.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what distribution to move to? I like
what I know about Debian (no corporate interests), but would prefer to
use what I know. Is Mandrake doomed with Redhat's change or do I
misunderstand how they operate? Should I put in the time to understand
Slackware? SUSE has always had a draw...

-Jamie

--
Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant