Re: Mandrake 9.2

Subject: Re: Mandrake 9.2
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 22:31:55 AKST

Neil Moomey wrote:
> I purchased Mandrake 9.2 and at Friday's meeting and Lee put a copy on
> the server. So far I'm impressed with it. Way better than Redhat 9 in
> terms of functionality and driver support. I love the way system
> utilities can remember the root password using wrappers. My CF card
> reader was detected, auto mounted, and works great which it did not with
> Red Hat. Mandrake did crash a couple times, or something did, maybe KDE
> not sure, so It's too early to come to a conclusion. Also, I still
> can't get my HP7350 printer to print photos from GIMP. Had the same
> problem with RH too. Overall I'd say Mandrake makes a better desktop
> than RedHat. Has anyone tried SuSE 9?
>
> Neil

Hmm, linuxprinting.org says the HP7350 is supposed to be one of the
better Linux printers, iirc. I have an HP970, which is basically the
same printer, just a generation or two back, and it works great.
Although I usually put my photos into an OpenOffice.org document and
print them from there rather than straight from Gimp - I tend to get
better results that way it seems.

As for SuSE 9, I am downloading the LiveCD now, but I haven't seen the
full version anywhere yet, except to order online. If someone has it,
I'd love to try it out. SuSE was my distro-of-choice for a while, but
then SuSE 8.0 didn't like my motherboard for some reason (kept kernel
panicking). I want to try SuSE 9 to see if it plays nicer now, but I
don't want to spend another $80 on SuSE if I come to find out that it is
unusable again.

Justin