Re: StarOffice 7 - Free for students

Subject: Re: StarOffice 7 - Free for students
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 17:28:57 AKST

All-

My two cents (for what it is worth). Have not yet tried SO 7, as I was waiting
the clarification re: educational users (thanx for the heads up, Justin),
but we have a lot of experience within our shop w/ SO 6.0. It is a fair
amount more reliable than OpenOffice, especially the Import/export features.In
particular the presentation program, StarImpress, works more reliably than its
OO counterpart.

Interestingly enough, we also have an old Sun Ultra 2 running Solaris 9, and
we use SO 6.0 on that, and it (SO 6.0) REALLY sucks on this platform! No where
near the product that it is on linux.

We will clearly go for the no-cost license, but the product is only $79.95,
which I would pay in a heart beat given SO's better functionality over
OpenOffice. (I hope that OpenOffice will soon be the better choice).

I personally like Sun's business model of taking open-source software, adding
some extra enhancements, providing some written documentation and charging a
reasonable (< $100) for the product, rather than M$'s approach, which, last
time I checked, was WAY over $100. THe added productivity of the better
filters pays for itself in terms of less labor cost in just a little while.

Bottom line, go for it Sun/StarOffice and go for it OpenOffice. THe Linux
community needs to support third party vendors, especially for <$100 products
that give added productivity.

So There!

PQO

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 17:17:00 -0900, Justin Dieters wrote