Re: vmware on Gentoo 1.4

Subject: Re: vmware on Gentoo 1.4
From: Joshua Kugler (jk@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 10:45:03 AKST

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 09:53 am, Tim Jordan, Network Services wrote:
> Can you advise on my vmware problem?
>
> I'm building a Gentoo box for our DP manager. Everything is running
> smooth on the box except Vmware. If Vmware doesn't work on Gentoo then
> my project is dead.
>
> Gentoo1.4 with gentoo-sources on a Dell GX260.
> TIA,
> Tim

> lines like this are the core issue:
> > > warning: linux/modules/sysrq.ver: No such file or directory
>
> Not sure what sysrq.ver does, but given that your build is looking for
> it in a
> modules directory, I'd further venture that you need that corresponding
> kernel option compiled as a module. Could you run a diff between the
> working
> kernel .config and the non-working kernel .config?
<SNIP>
> > I believe I'm giving the correct header path:
> > /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r8/build/include
<SNIP>
> > > /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h:295:35:
> > > linux/modules/sysrq.ver: No such file or directory
> > > kernel? [/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r8/build/include]

It appears, based on other paths printed out, that you are not using the
correct include path.

I'm not familiar with Gentoo, but it does not appear you are giving it the
right directory for the header. Try this one:

/usr/src/linux/include

Because on my system, sysrq.ver is in

/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/include/linux/modules/sysrq.ver

And your build is already looking in /usr/src/linux, so I'd try giving it
/usr/src/linux/include as your header directory.

Hope that helps.

--
Joshua Kugler
Assistant Systems Administrator