Re: M$ Flaws

Subject: Re: M$ Flaws
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 20:16:12 AKDT

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:05:58 -0800
"Scott Johnson" <scott@akghetto.com> wrote:

> MS always talks about how they're intregrating all their software such
> that it lowers the TCO, but not when you have to spend a day every week
> upgrading your systems with the newest patches.... sigh...

In theory, you won't be able to do that now even if you really want to. This is the first month that Microsoft has moved to the "all the patches at once, second Tuesday or Wednesday of the month unless the h4x0r5 are actively exploiting something" schedule.

So you'll be able to relax and just schedule your patching for the second half of the second week in the month.

And the h4x0r5 get to prove their skills by starting their 0day exploits on the first Saturday after the second Wednesday of the month in order to gain the most benefit from complacent sysadmins who are "fully patched".

So see, everything is nice and organized now. You can put it on your calendar. And a nice organized schedule lowers TCO.

Now we just need to get the Linux community to catch up with Microsoft's innovation so our Linux patches & 0day exploits don't get out of sync with the Windows one. Getting both communities on the same schedule will allow IT managers to schedule overtime in advance, plan vacations, etc. and everything will be much more efficient.

Cheers,

James