Re: Can't get DVD to use DMA

Subject: Re: Can't get DVD to use DMA
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 00:40:02 AKDT

Yes, it is in my kernel. catting and grepping the config file comes up
with this:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
# CONFIG_HPT34X_AUTODMA is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
# CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA100=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DMA_ADDRESSING_MODE=1
CONFIG_SOUND_DMAP=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_NEW_DRIVE_LISTINGS=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA=m
# CONFIG_DMASCC is not set

I've been looking around on Google all night, and the best lead I found
was a message here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200302/msg00123.html

The guy was having the same problem as I am having, with the same
chipset as mine (KT333) and almost the same kernel (he had 2.4.18-bf2.4,
I have 2.4.18-19.7.x)

The guy who answered him said pretty matter-of-factly that he needed to
upgrade his kernel. There's no reply saying if this worked or not, but
I will try it out I guess - I've been looking for a good excuse to
upgrade this machine from RedHat 7.3 anyway. :) Now, just to decide
between RedHat 9 and Gentoo 1.4.

Justin