Re: SpeedStream Wireless

Subject: Re: SpeedStream Wireless
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 07:54:23 AKDT

Jon,

The penguin is never angry, just very unforgiving. ;-)

>From the Knowledge-base at www.speedstream.com.

Example only: Configuring for Linux Orinoco Driver

§ SpeedStream Product: 1021

§ OS: Linux 2.4.18

§ Driver: PCMCIA-3.1.33+. The latest version can be found at
sourceforge.net (see link in Further Information section).

In this example the [CONFIG_PCMCIA] is not enabled in the kernel;
instead the PCMCIA-3.1.33 suite is used.

1. Confirm that the Linux kernel was compiled with option
[CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS] enabled.

2. Confirm the Wireless Tools package is installed (this is included in
Redhat Linux 7.2+).

3. Append following to the [/etc/pcmcia/config] file:

card "SpeedStream Wireless PCMCIA"

manfid 0x02ac, 0x0002

bind "orinoco_cs"

4. Make sure you let the PCMCIA package use its own network scripts
during installation.

5. Include the following information in your [/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts]
file:

*,*,*,00:30:F1:*)

INFO="SpeedStream WLAN"

ESSID="[provide your network name here]"

MODE="Managed"

KEY="[if you use encryption, provide your key here]"

Note: If you have your AP (e.g. Siemens 2623) set up as a DHCP server,
make sure you set [ DHCP="y"] in the [/etc/pcmcia/network.opts] file.
Otherwise, provide the required parameters in the
[/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts] file.

Note: It is helpful to have [syslog] configured with [debug logging] to
trace any problems you may encounter.

  * Further Information
SourceForge.net

Jim Gribbin