Re: configure box as router

Subject: Re: configure box as router
From: Joe Dintzner (joe@alaskancomputers.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 18:21:45 AKDT

My two cents (No Refund No Deposit)

While not necessarily looking for a straight router I have recently used
CoyoteLinux (http://www.coyotelinux.com) and IPCop http://www.ipcop.org

Coyote 1.3 was a dream to install (pII 333 32mg ram - no need for
harddrive, case fan, cd-rom) and took over the same functions of my
Linksys BEFSR41 router. Ten minutes max setup time.

The problem I had was the limited logging and additional add-ons needed
for a good Firewall/NAT. My limited skills and patience did not allow me
to get the remote logging (syslogd) feature functional but may be worth
a look-see.

IPCop needs a harddrive and cdrom but offers a nice proxy server, vpn,
IDS (snort), and IPTables package. Plus the ability to install local
network monitoring packages on the harddrive. I assume one could just as
easily disable most of the security options via the normal linux conf
files.

Happy Hunting

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 17:29, Scott Johnson wrote:

> I'd like a nice Cisco router, but alas too expensive. So I'm looking for
> a Linux distro/project/guide/HOWTO to set up a box purely for routing
> traffic. This will be on an internal Intranet, so no firewall or NAT is
> required. Anyone have any links or comments they'd like to share?
>
> Thanks.

joe dintzner
liveitloveitlinuxit