Re: Hard drive 100% usage

Subject: Re: Hard drive 100% usage
bryan@ak.net
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 21:58:58 AKDT

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:15:34PM -0800, Chris Hamilton <chris@digitalalaska.com> wrote:

> It looks like files were copied to the /local_dir when it was not
> connected to the windows box. There shouldn't actually be files on the
> Linux hard drive in /local_dir. Now I just need to figure out a way to
> keep the copy from being performed without that mapped drive available.

You can make the mount point unwritable: chmod a-w /local_dir. This
won't affect the permissions when the filesystem is mounted. Of course
if the copy process runs as root, this won't work -- root's privileges
override the directory permissions. In that case, you can set the
directory's immutable attribute with chattr.

I think Gentoo does something like this. I went through and did this
to all my mount points to avoid the disappearing file syndrome.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net