Re: DSL vs. Cablemodem

Subject: Re: DSL vs. Cablemodem
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 10:54:13 AKDT

On Wednesday October 1 2003 9:44 am, Jamie Hushower wrote:
> After a disappointing* stint with GCI cablemodem service, I am switchin=
> back to DSL. The memory of a painful PPPoE setup on Linux looms in my m=
ind-
> granted, it has been a few years. In comparison, the cablemodem/DHCP se=
tup
> was as simple as installing dhclient and pointing it to the appropriate
> interface. I have heard a lot of good things about Roaring Penguin and
> notice that it is included in Redhat's distribution. Can anyone recomme=
nd
> for or against dealing with Roaring Penguin or any other PPPoE facilita=
tor
> versus using a Linksys router (which I already own) in front of my Linu=
> firewall? I am impressed with the simplicity of Linksys' cablemodem/DSL
> router setup... Thanks.
>
> -Jamie
>
> * If you have cablemodem service, you come to expect portscans, various
> broadcast traffic, and windows SMB announcements to take up a fair port=
ion
> of your monthly bandwidth allotment. Why should I pay for all of that
> traffic?

I used the Roaring Penquin setup that comes standard in later versions o=
f =20
redhat and found them lacking , to make it work i got the source from =
the=20
roaring penguin site and installed from that , using the tk front end =
=20
thats available there as well. had a nice little widget to start and s=
top=20
the sessions ... I have found that using a comercial router , I'm usi=
ng=20
the linksys one is trouble free and sooo much easer that directly=20
connecting a dsl modem to my ethernet card and using RP to do the=20
connection stuff , in addition I get all the port forwarding and=20
masqurading I need and another layer of firewall protection... all for 4=
0=20
bucks ... to me it's a no brainer , use the router .

Greg J