Re: Knoppix CD's for German Day

Subject: Re: Knoppix CD's for German Day
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 11:24:34 AKDT

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:36:09AM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 00:28, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>

> > I have made a nice label for the CD's that has the following
> > information:
> >
> > KNOPPIX 3.3
> >
> > Courtesy of the German Culture Clug
> > University of Alaska Anchorage
> >
> > KNOPPIX is a compilation of GNU/Linux software,
> > run completely from CD. This is a genuine open source
> > project, subject to the GNU General Public License.
> > This CD is not for sale, nor is it to be resold.
> > Alaska Linux Users Group
> > October 3, 2003
> > AKLUG
> >
> > Am morgen!

snip
> AFAIK the GPL does not prohibit the selling of GPL software, and I am
> sure anyone can copy the disk and sell the copy. I am not sure what
> purpose the selling/reselling line has.
> --
> Greg Madden
> Precision Air Balance, Inc.
> Phone: 907-276-0461
> email: pabi@gci.net
>
> ---------
Agreed. However, this particular CD is being given away by "Courtesy of
the German Culture Club". I wanted to make sure foolish people would not
be able to claim the GCC was some how making money from these poor,
captive, high school students. The contents of the CD are free to be
copied, burned, sold or given away.

Upon reflection, I should have put that line up under the GCC line.

More comments, please, before I make any more labels.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1